In the event that someone from the public brings in a dead or “salvaged” animal or someone from our department/building brings one in, follow these THREE STEPS:
1. Collect the following information along with the specimen:
- Species (if known)
- Date and location where the specimen was found
- Name of person who collected it and their phone or email address
- Name of Department of Forest & Wildlife Ecology or Russell Service Center person who accepted the specimen
- Any additional information about the location and/or cause of death
2. Record this information on an index card and place it in a plastic bag along with the specimen. Specimens should be placed in the freezer in A228 Russell Laboratories.
3. Send Jamie Nack an email with the above information as well, so it can be reported as part of our annual state and federal reporting responsibilities.
Please note that we cannot accept threatened nor endangered species.
Key contact and responsible party: Jamie Nack
Reporting requirements: State (annually on January 10; last report), Federal (annually on January 31; last report)General Policies, Miscellaneous.